Almost everyone would agree that riding a motorcycle is a fun, adventurous and freeing experience. However, it can also be very dangerous, especially for those who lack training and experience. According to a national study, many accidents involving motorcycles occur due to beginner motorcyclists who have not the experience necessary to safely maneuver, especially on high speed and unfamiliar roadways. Additionally, crashes involving motorcycles in Oklahoma tend to occur mostly in higher density areas of the State, such as Oklahoma City.
Notwithstanding, there are numerous steps you can take to enjoy your motorcycle riding experience and avoid injury. These are as follows:
- Perfect practice makes perfect! We always recommend that bikers practice in parking lots or other areas where they can gain more confidence in turning, braking and negotiating other difficult maneuvers.
- Get some training. In Oklahoma, there are courses that novice motorcyclists located throughout the State can take through the Oklahoma Motorcycle Safety Training Program. These programs can even benefit more experienced riders who wish to brush up on certain skills. You can also go online and search for a course near you.
- Know your course before you take it. For novice bikers, it is essential that you know exactly where you are going at all times. For instance, construction detours and other unknown hazards can cause novice bikers to lose control and become seriously hurt.
- Don’t take your bike into unfamiliar areas. For people who are not experienced bikers, going into areas of which you are not familiar can be highly dangerous. Specifically, unfamiliar areas can leave you uncertain as to the nature of road conditions, potentially leading to serious accidents.
- Keep yourself protected. Wearing bike helmets, eye goggles and thick clothing (i.e. leather jackets) is highly recommended for several reasons. Not only do these types of protective clothing and gear shield you from the elements, it can also help prevent certain types of serious injuries should you sustain a fall.
- Always keep your motorcycle in good shape. Not surprisingly, many motorcycle accidents occur due to tire blowouts or other types of malfunctions. Be sure to inspect your motorcycle and address repairs as soon as possible.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a motorcycle accident, call our Oklahoma motorcycle accident lawyers to find out more about your legal options. Waiting to get seasoned representation can greatly affect your chances of being justly compensated for your injuries. We will take the time to evaluate the facts of your case, advise you of your rights and help you make informed decisions about your case.