There is nothing worse than heading out the door with just enough time to make it to your destination only to become stuck in a sea of cars that are barely inching along. Heavy congestion can cause severe delays and is major cause of motorist frustration. But heavy congestion can be more than just an annoyance; it can also contribute to accidents. To help ensure that you make it through your next traffic jam safely, try to remember the following tips:
- Keep your cool: Traffic jams have a way of making motorists see red. However, to safely navigate traffic a driver needs a cool head. Aggressive driving has no place in congestion. Yelling at other drivers or laying on the horn will only make a tense situation worse. The motto of driving in heavy traffic should be keep calm and carry on.
- Stay alert: Bumper to bumper traffic can cause a drive to come down with a case of tunnel vision. While it is important to keep an eye on what is going on in front of you, it is also critical to pay attention to the scene around you.
- Do not be a gaper: Often delays on the roads that are initially caused by an accident are often prolonged by motorists gawking at the accident scene. While the scene of accident may seem like quite a compelling sight, to keep traffic moving along safely, keep your eyes on the road ahead.
- Take your foot off the gas: Navigating traffic does not mean turning into some hot shot driver who tries to quickly dart between lanes in an effort to find the “perfect” lane. Slowing down and paying attention to traffic patterns will serve you much better in the long run.
- Go easy on the brakes: One of the most dangerous things about traffic is the sudden stopping and heavy braking that can set off a domino-like effect. If you have given yourself an adequate cushion between you and the car in front of you, you should be able to smoothly apply the brakes.
- Give yourself a cushion: The very nature of congestion causes cars to be very tightly packed together. When cars are jammed together, all it takes is one misstep by a driver to set off a chain reaction of fender bender accidents. The best way to prevent yourself from hitting the car in front of you, is to give yourself a decent size cushion of space. This will act as a buffer and give you extra time to brake without having to slam on the brakes.
- Find an exit: If you ever find yourself stuck in traffic and feeling like you could just explode with anger or frustration, you need to take a break. Exit the road and find a place where you can stretch your legs or grab a cup of coffee. Even just a few minutes away from the traffic jam can help you regain your composure.
Learning that your loved one was seriously injured or killed in an automobile accident can be devastating news. The compassionate attorneys at The Handley Law Center understand exactly how life altering the aftermath of an automobile accident can be for a victim and his or her family. At the Handley Law Center our experienced team of injury attorneys are prepared to do everything necessary to bring your family justice. Call The Handley Law Center today at (405) 295-1924 to schedule a free and completely confidential consultation. Our Oklahoma Personal Injury Attorneys will fight to make sure you receive the compensation you are owed.