& other Toxic Exposure
Experienced Personal Advocacy Serving Oklahoma
Litigating a Mesothelioma or Asbestos Lawsuit in Oklahoma
Attorneys who successfully litigate cases involving mesothelioma cancer have spent many years becoming experts on asbestos-exposures from both legal and medical standpoints. The litigation is complex, involving state and federal laws and regulations. The cases often involve military or industrial exposures that occurred on-the-job – although mesothelioma can also be the result of having handling a loved one’s laundry that contained asbestos fibers. A reliable mesothelioma lawyer also fully understands the disease itself, and engages medical experts to expedite your case toward settlement or trial. Our mesothelioma and asbestos attorneys have a proven track record of bringing these legal and medical issues together, and bringing just compensation to unwitting victims who suffer due to asbestos exposure.
There are three primary types of mesothelioma:
1. Pleural mesothelioma
The chest and lung cavity linings are affected. This is the most common type of mesothelioma, because asbestos fibers are easily inhaled.
2. Peritoneal mesothelioma
The abdominal cavity or stomach linings are affected. Fibers can also be ingested, causing mesothelioma.
3. Pericardial mesothelioma
The heart is surrounded by a thin lining that is affected. This is the rarest form of mesothelioma.
Asbestos-exposure can also cause:
- Asbestosis – Lung tissue becomes scarred, causing inflammation, diminishing the lung’s ability to remove carbon dioxide and deliver oxygen to the blood.
- Asbestos Lung Cancer – Tumors develop in lung tissue affected by asbestos. Smoking greatly increases the likelihood of asbestos lung cancer.
Once you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma or another asbestos-related disease, contact an attorney specializing in mesothelioma and asbestos litigation as quickly as possible. Request the attorney’s win-loss record in these types of cases, before making a final hiring decision. Each state has a statute of limitations for filing a mesothelioma lawsuit, generally between three to five years. Although it can take 10-50years after asbestos-exposure for mesothelioma symptoms to manifest, the statute begins running the day diagnosis is made.
Our lawyers guide you through each step of the mesothelioma or asbestos litigation process:
- Determine the parties who are responsible exposing you to asbestos.
- Research and investigate asbestos products and locate witnesses specific to your case.
- File your lawsuit, requesting a trial setting.
- Discovery phase where records (medical, employment, etc.), interrogatories, and other information is exchanged between you and the parties you are suing.
- Settlement conferences and settlement offers.
- If the case hasn’t settled after three months, depositions commence.
- Cases that don’t settle go to trial.
Everyone Needs a Good Lawyer
When you need legal advocacy combined with personal attention, contact our law firm to speak with one of our attorneys. Call us during normal business hours to schedule an appointment.