FLETCHER DAL HANDLEY, JR. was selected as Oklahoma’s Outstanding Young Lawyer of 1983 and was appointed to a temporary division of the Oklahoma Court of Civil Appeals in 1991. He has lectured throughout the United States on several areas of trial practice and was a guest speaker at the 1999 Hawaii Bar Association’s Automobile Law Symposium. He served as a mentor at the 2002 National Trial Academy in Reno, Nevada. He is a former President of the Canadian County Bar Association and was a 9-time delegate to the Oklahoma Bar Convention. In 2008 he was elected as an Oklahoma fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
Fletcher has received several awards including two El Reno Public Education Lamplighter Awards for his service as a high school Mock Trial Coach for 20 years. He was appointed by the Oklahoma Supreme Court as a Judge of a Temporary Division of the Oklahoma Court of Civil Appeals in 1992.
Honors & Awards
Special Honors & Awards of Fletcher Handley
- Awarded as Oklahoma's Super Lawyer in the areas of plaintiff’s personal injury and family law, 2009-2010
- Elected as a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, 2008
- Testified before US Senate Commerce Committee on proposed National No-fault Insurance Bill, 1999
- Appointed to temporary division of the Oklahoma Court of Civil Appeals by the Oklahoma Supreme Court, 1991
- Coached — 1990 Oklahoma High School Mock Trial State Champion
- Selected as Oklahoma’s Outstanding Young Lawyer by the Oklahoma Bar Association, 1983
- Twice awarded the Lamplighter Award by the El Reno Education Association
- Awarded Top 100 Trial Lawyer of the American Trial Lawyers Association
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Canadian County Bar Association- Member; President, 1983.
- Oklahoma Bar Association- Bar Media Relations Committee, 1983-1986; Legal Specialization Committee, 1990-1993.
- American Bar Association- Tort & Insurance Practice Section; Scholarship Fund Board, 2002-present; Auto Choice Task Force, 1998; Plaintiff’s Involvement Task Force- Member, 1997-present, Chair, 1998-99; ABA Working Group on Protection of Rights of Service Members, 2003; Standing Committee on Armed Forces Law, 2001-2004; Member, TIPS Council, 1998-2003; Auto Law Committee, Chair, 1996-97.
- International Society of Primerus Law Firms- Charter Member; Board of Directors, 2000 – 2005.
- Oklahoma Criminal Defense Lawyers Association-Member; Board of Directors, 1982-1984.
- Oklahoma Association for Justice- Member; Board of Directors, 2010 – present.
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Sustaining Lifetime Fellow of Oklahoma Bar Foundation
- Nine-time delegate to Oklahoma Bar Association House of Delegates
- Air Crewman– United States Navy Patrol Squadron 11, 1969-1972.
- Assistant State Judge Advocate, Military Judge– Oklahoma Army National Guard, Judge Advocate General’s Corp, 1981-2008.
Publications, Seminars & Lectures
- Oklahoma Dram Shop Law: A Primer
- Speaker- Motor Vehicle Collision Seminar, Hawaii Bar Association, Honolulu, Hawaii, 1999.
- Speaker- “Trial of a Serious Auto-Truck Accident Case,” TIPS-YLD Spring Meeting, La Jolla, CA, 1998.
- Speaker- “Class Certification of an Insurance Coverage Issue,” American Bar Association Convention, San Francisco, 1997.
- Program Chair and Speaker- “Mediation of an Auto Wreck Case- What to Know Before You Mediate,” American Bar Association Convention, New Orleans, Louisiana, 1994.
- Panelist- “Consumer Choice in Auto Insurance,” American Bar Association Convention, New York City, New York, 1993.
- How to Handle Small Personal Injury Cases, Oklahoma County Bar Association Seminar, Aspen, Colorado, February, 1993.
- Program Chair- “Hedonic Damages,” American Bar Association Convention, San Francisco, California, 1992.
- A Guide to Administrative Board Proceedings in the Oklahoma Army National Guard, Judge Advocate General’s School, Charlottesville, Virginia, July, 1991.
Verdicts and Settlements
- $3,000,000 Settlement- class action on behalf of mineral owners, Canadian County, 1997.
- $1,600,000 Arbitration Award- personal injury and bad faith on behalf of 16-year-old girl injured in I-35 accident, Oklahoma County, 2000.
- $1,550,000 Jury Verdict- wrongful death of 21-year-old against tavern owner, Oklahoma County, 2005.
- $1,500,000 Settlement on First Day of Trial- wrongful death of motel guest, Harris County, Texas, 1994.
- $1,100,000 Settlement- personal injury and wrongful death on Route 66, Canadian County, 1986.
- $1,000,000 Jury Verdict, Including Pre-Judgment Interest- personal injury from truck debris on I-40, Canadian County, 2009.
- $450,000 Settlement- wrongful death in truck accident on I-40, Oklahoma Federal District Court, Eastern District, 1997.
- $400,000 Settlement- wrongful death of 21-year-old against tavern owner, Oklahoma County, 2004.
- $400,000 Post-Trial Settlement- product liability claim for wrongful death of 23-year-old husband and father killed on the job, Oklahoma County, 1982.
- $300,000 Settlement- personal injury for 28-year-old mother for I-5 accident, Los Angeles County, California, 1988.
- $250,000 Settlement- personal injury for 25-year-old male for auto wreck on rural road, Woodward County, 1981.
- Mesothelioma/Asbestos & other Toxic Exposure
- Bar and Liquor Liability
- Car, Truck, and Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Premises Liability